"The joy of living is his who has the heart to demand it." Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Birthday Weekend!

Despite what Aaron may say, and despite how I may look (wink, wink), I didn't turn 23 this weekend. It was the big 32, which wasn't that big at all, and to celebrate, my sweetie and I reserved a Forest Service cabin called Raven's Roost. It was amazing! The views, the talks, the hard work to get up that mountain...it was all very rewarding. It also makes me reflect on how happy I am to live in Southeast Alaska, where this is my backyard, and this trailhead is accessible only 5 minutes from my house. I think I have told Aaron 20 times since we moved here that "Alaska is a place that either grabs you, or it doesn't." Many wonder what the heck people are even doing up here, some feel that it's a great place to visit, and other's just feel at home. I have arrived.

Here are a few shots from this epic weekend.
Here's my handsome hubby starting out on the trail of Raven's Roost. Most of the trail is through muskeg which turns into a slog fest when you walk on it. "squish, squish, squish goes the muskeg under your feet." So, those champs at the F.S. have built a trail out of planks for your hiking pleasure. It's awesome, until they get wet, and then they become a bit hazardous. In fact this whole trail gets to be a bit dangerous...more than once, I heard a big ruckus behind me and turned around to see my loved one recovering from a fall. I'll admit, I had my moments as well.
Here I am after arriving in a meadow that overlooks Fredrick Sounds. WOW! What a view!

Here's Aaron with just a few yards to go to Raven's Roost cabin. It was the perfect home away from home, once we got the stove figured out, that is. :) These cabins are available all over Southeast Alaska, this is one of the few that are accessible by foot. Most are accessed by helicopter, float plane or boat. If anyone comes to visit, we'll take you to one! Just a little carrot dangling in front of your nose.

Hunkered down inside of the cabin. We had a little trouble figuring out how to operate the stove, so the first night was a cold one. Fortunately, my brainy, brawny husband figured it out and we were toasty warm the second night.

1 comment:

Sarah Jordan said...

So cute that you have arrived. Even your dog looks happy (cold, but happy)! xoxo SSJ