"The joy of living is his who has the heart to demand it." Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Skagway!!!

As many of you already know, my love affair with SE Alaska began with the summer of 2000 when I lived and worked for a season in Skagway, AK. Skagway is basically like summer camp, but in this instance you can bankroll and still forge amazing friendships. To this day, many of the people who are nearest and dearest to me still "do the seasonal thing" in Skagway. Since I'm still in hot pursuit of employment, I thought, why not now, why not Skagway. So, I hot footed it over to the ferry terminal and booked a ticket, 17 laid back hours later, I arrived.


Some photos of my journey.....


Self portrait on the ferry.

My luxury accomodations.

This is a picture of two of my favorite people. Matt Flood in the middle, and Trish Sims on the other side of them.


Matt's dog Samson. My little man.


Trish and her hubby Josh. Too cute.


DyeaMatt, Josh, Shane (Josh's son) and I took the train up to Laughton Glacier. The White Pass and Yukon Route railroad is one of the last railroads in the nation that still does whistle stops, where you can actually get dropped off and picked up by the train.


Shane on the train.


Matt and I on the hike up to Laughton. The glacier is directly behind us.


This was as close as we (well, Josh, Shane and I that is...Matt whimped out) got to the glacier.


Jim and Sue. Two of the greatest people that I know. I met them my first year in Skagway. It was love at first sight. Sorry guys, I had to include you in my blog. That's what you get for seeing me.

We hiked up to Frasier Lake next to Frasier, British Columbia. This was absolutely the most beautiful day and is likely the last time that I'll see the sun or blue sky until I go to Mexico with my honey this spring. Well, I don't know if we'll go to Mexico, but we are definitely going to seek out some sun this spring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pictures!! Glad you are enjoying life. We are in the middle of a Blizzard/Sunday Dec. 13th. The percussion performance at Concordia for this afternoon has been rescheduled for Jan.10. So far there has not been a cancellation of our ALL staff Christmas Party scheduled for 5:30 pm today. Merry Christmas! Pearl Q.